150 Services a Funeral Director Provides
2. No extra charges for holidays, weekends or after normal business hours.
3. Provide and maintain facilities necessary for all services.
4. Provide for security of deceased.
5. Keep all information confidential.
6. Receive death calls.
7. Provide details of steps to be taken after death notification.
8. Obtain release of remains.
9. Transfer deceased from place of death to funeral home.
10. Take custody and inventory personal effects of deceased.
11. Embalm remains when requested.
12. Perform restorative art procedures when necessary.
13. Perform alternative preparation when no embalming.
14. Hold body without any preparation when required.
15. Coordinate with organ/tissue bank for donation.
16. Meet with physician or hospital to obtain signed death certificate.
17. File death certificate with proper government agency.
18. Obtain burial, cremation or transit permit.
19. Provide family with transportation to funeral home to make arrangements.
20. Meet with family at home to make arrangements, if requested.
21. Return deceased‘s personal effects to family.
22. Provide family with government forms required for arrangement conference.
23. Obtain vital statistics needed for legal documents.
24. Advise family on any legal decision that must be considered.
25. Maintain funeral records as required by law.
26. Explain and provide final disposition options.
27. Explain religious and cultural options and requirements.
28. Explain and provide service and funeral options.
29. Assist family in planning meaningful funeral.
30. Assist family in planning meaningful memorial service.
31. Assist family in planning alternative service.
32. Contact and coordinate with clergy.
33. Explain military options.
34. Contact and coordinate with military.
35. Explain service options for fraternal/special group.
36. Contact and coordinate with fraternal/special group.
37. Obtain information for death notice.
38. Write death notice and submit to newspaper.
39. Obtain information and photograph for obituary.
40. Write and submit obituary to newspaper.
41. Advance or guarantee cost of death notice/obituary.
42. Assist family with flower selection.
43. Order flowers for family, if requested.
44. Provide guidance for writing eulogy.
45. Provide photo boards/easels.
46. Assist family in arranging photo board.
47. Offer video tribute option.
48. Receive photos and music requests for tribute video.
49. Produce tribute video/DVD with music.
50. Provide equipment to play tribute video.
51. Ensure video is played at proper time.
52. Provide casket display.
53. Assist family in casket selection.
54. Provide vault display.
55. Assist family in vault selection.
56. Provide and display urn selection.
57. Assist family in urn selection.
58. Provide register book and memorial card selections.
59. Assist family in selection of register books/memorial cards.
60. Print memorial card and register book information pages.
61. Restock memorial cards and register book pages during services.
62. Provide memorial donation envelopes for charities.
63. Provide Mass cards.
64. Provide Mass card and donation cardholders.
65. Assist guests in filling out donation and Mass cards.
66. Print extra memorial cards, if necessary.
67. Provide religious symbols.
68. Explain cemetery options and rules.
69. Assist family with cemetery selection.
70. Contact and coordinate with cemetery.
71. Order last-minute items, such as a tent.
72. Explain crematory options and rules.
73. Contact and coordinate with crematory.
74. Explain veterans‘ benefits.
75. Complete veterans‘ forms for death benefits.
76. Obtain flag for veterans.
77. Complete and send forms for Social Security benefits.
78. Complete insurance forms, when required.
79. Provide clothing for deceased.
80. Clean and press clothing provided by family.
81. Dress deceased.
82. Cosmetize deceased.
83. Provide dressing of hair for deceased.
84. Provide nail care for deceased.
85. Place deceased in casket and make presentable for visitation.
86. Place casket in visitation room in proper manner.
87. Arrange visitation room for wake, calling hours.
88. Meet with families for first visitation.
89. Make adjustments after first visitation.
90. Greet and direct guests to visitation room.
91. Assist guests with questions and special requests.
92. Provide guests with documentation of funeral attendance as needed for work time off.
93. Answer telephone inquiries about visitation and/or funeral.
94. Receive and arrange flowers.
95. Photograph flowers, if requested. Give family flower cards.
96. Provide music system.
97. Provide selection of music.
98. Play music selected by family during visitation and funeral.
99. Complete automobile list for funeral procession.
100. Provide assistance to special groups holding service.
101. Make arrangements for funeral brunch, if requested.
102. Prepare visitation room for funeral or move deceased to chapel.
103. Arrange for police or private funeral procession escort.
104. Implement funeral service according to family wishes.
105. Recosmetize deceased on day of funeral, if necessary.
106. Meet with family before funeral to finalize details.
107. Arrange cars for funeral procession.
108. Coordinate with and assist clergy before funeral.
109. Coordinate with and assist special group(s) before funeral.
110. Coordinate with escort on day of funeral.
111. Supervise pallbearers.
112. Coordinate music for funeral service.
113. Provide transportation for pallbearers, if necessary.
114. Provide transportation for clergy, if necessary.
115. Close casket, ensuring family request for items left in, or remove from casket.
116. Provide transportation for family to church and cemetery.
117. Provide transportation for deceased.
118. Lead procession to church.
119. Ensure proper parking at church.
120. Coordinate church service.
121. Ensure correct grave or crypt is opened.
122. Ensure vault is delivered and installed at cemetery.
123. Transport and arrange flowers at cemetery/crematory.
124. Lead procession to cemetery/crematory.
125. Fulfill special family requests for procession, such as passing by home or workplace.
126. Supervise cemetery/crematory service.
127. Present flag if military detail is not present.
128. Act in place of clergy, if necessary.
129. Ensure that vault cover is sealed correctly.
130. Provide cemetery with burial/cremation permit.
131. Deliver cash advances to church/cemetery.
132. Provide transportation to funeral breakfast, if necessary.
133. Deliver flowers not used in service to location designated by family.
134. Provide thank-you cards to family.
135. Assist family with monument purchase or inscription.
136. Secure initial certified copies of death certificate.
137. Secure additional certified copies of death certificate, as requested.
138. Retrieve cremated remains from crematory.
139. Retain cremated remains until family picks up.
140. Deliver cremated remains to family, when requested.
141. Assist family in final disposition of cremated remains.
142. Provide preneed planning.
143. Provide options for preneed funding.
144. Ensure security of preneed funds.
145. Provide long-term security for preneed records.
146. Assist with Medicaid spend-down details.
147. Facilitate return of deceased from out of town.
148. Facilitate transportation of deceased to out-of-town location.
149. Provide aftercare support.
150. Provide payment options.